ATHLETIC CODE OF CONDUCT
Interscholastic athletic competition should demonstrate high standard of ethics and sportsmanship and promote the development of good character. Sportsmanship is achieved when participants are committed to pursuing victory according to the nine sportsmanship traits: Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Caring, Fairness, Citizenship, Perseverance, Courage, and Self-Discipline.
- Trustworthiness – having the inner strength to be fair and courteous during athletic events.
- Respect – showing high regard for coaches, officials, opponents, fans, administrators, self, team, and the school you are representing.
- Responsibility – showing reliability and consistency in words and conduct, and being accountable for your actions.
- Caring – being considerate, courteous, generous in spirit to the opposing team.
- Fairness – treating others as you like to be treated. Recognizing the uniqueness and value of each individual.
- Citizenship – setting priorities in accordance with team, county, state and national rules. Demonstrating law-abiding behavior and volunteerism.
- Perseverance – being persistent in pursuit of worthy objectives in spite of opposition.
- Courage – having the determination to do the right thing even when others don’t.
- Self-discipline – refraining from inappropriate behaviors and maintaining self-control at all times.
As a coach, I acknowledge that I am a role model. I know that the principles of good sportsmanship are integrity, fairness, and respect. While teaching the skills of the game, I must also teach student athletes how to win and lose graciously, and that sports are meant to be educational and fun. I know the behavior expectations of me by this school and school system. I hereby accept my responsibility to be a model of ethnical behavior, integrity, and good citizenship.
Student Athlete’s Pledge
As a student athlete, I know I am a role model. I understand the spirit of fair play while playing hard. I will refrain from engaging in all types of disrespectful behavior, including inappropriate language, taunting, trash talking, and unnecessary physical contact. I know the behavior expectations of my school and school system. I hereby accept the responsibility and privilege of representing this school and community as a student athlete.
As a parent, I acknowledge that I am a role model. I will remember that school athletics is an extension of the classroom, offering learning experiences for the students. I must show respect for all players, coaches, spectators, and support groups. I will participate in cheers that support, encourage, and uplift the teams involved. I understand the spirit of fair play and the good sportsmanship expected by our school and school system. I hereby accept my responsibility to be a model of good sportsmanship that comes with being the parent of a student athlete.